Household Hazardous Waste

What is Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?

HHW is leftover household products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive ingredients.  This includes materials such as paints, cleaners, oils, antifreeze, batteries, light bulbs, and pesticides. Many communities have programs that collect these materials (see below for details). 

    Resources for Proper HHW Disposal and Recycling

    Auto Fluids: See the Recycling Locator Map for auto parts or service stores that accept used motor oil and other vehicle fluids.

    Paint: Latex paint can be dried out (speed up the process with absorbant materials such as kitty litter). Once dry, the paint may be disposed of in the trash.  PaintCare Inc. is a non-profit 501©(3) organization established to represent paint manufacturers (paint producers) to plan and operate paint stewardship programs in the United States in states that pass paint stewardship laws. Nevada does not have a paint stewardship law. Click here for the PaintCare Site Locator.  For oil-based paint, see options in the section below.

    Pesticides: The Nevada Department of Agriculture offers a free collection service for unwanted pesticides. For more information call 775 353 3715, or see the brochure on their website.

    Batteries: Rechargeable batteries are accepted for recycling at many locations including Batteries Plus, Target, and Radio Shack. Single use alkaline batteries are difficult to recycle in Nevada, however, for a small fee, Batteries Plus stores will accept them.

    CFL Bulbs (small pigtail bulbs): Many Lowes and Home Depot locations accept CFLs.

    Appliances: Appliances can be dropped off at most transfer stations free of charge. The Reno Sparks Gospel Mission will pick up appliances. Call 775-323-7999 to schedule.

    Smoke Detectors: Free recycling available through JMAC. Ground mail via USPS is the cheapest and best shipping option.

      Additional HHW Collection Services

      Check the Recycling Locator Map for HHW collection centers. Additional details by county are provided below.

      Carson City: Residents can drop off Household Hazardous Wastes at the landfill on Flint Road every Thursday from the hours of 1:30 – 4:00 pm by appointment only. Call Carson City Public Works at (775)887-2355 to set up an appointment. Accepted materials include: Oil-based paint, Varnish, Stain, Gasoline, Pesticides and Herbicides. Click here to view their website.

      Clark County: Residents can drop off HHW at two transfer stations that are open on a rotating basis. For accepted materials, locations, and hours go to Republic Service's website

      Washoe County: Waste Management transfer stations accept a limited selection of items--used motor oil and antifreeze. For more details call 775 329 8822. 

      Other HHW can be dropped off for a fee at H2O Environmental or Clean Harbors.

      KTMB's Recycling Guide lists additional resources for Washoe County.  

      Incline Village has a HHW program as well, with details listed here.

      Elko County: The City of Elko's HHW program handles a wide variety of materials. To arrange for drop-off contact the Environmental Coordinator at 775 777 7213. 

      Nye County:For more information about Nye County's used motor oil and prescription drug collection programs, click here.